The most obvious or common reason for orthodontics is an improved bite and a straighter smile. This can often go a long way toward improving the patient’s confidence and self-image. Having a straight and beautiful smile is important, but it’s even more important to correct any potential dental problems that could be caused by an improper alignment of the teeth.
Crooked teeth can be difficult to clean properly. This can lead to tooth decay, dental cavities, and even gum disease and eventual tooth loss. Additionally, untreated orthodontic problems can cause speech impairments, problems with chewing and digestion, frequent headaches, and premature wear on the surfaces of the teeth.
Why Orthodontic Treatment?
Below are a few of the many reasons why orthodontic treatment may be recommended for you or your child:
- Crowding – Crowding is caused by large teeth, a small jaw or a combination of both. This will cause the teeth to shift in order to accommodate.
- Crossbite – A crossbite occurs when one or more of the upper teeth rest inside the lower teeth (closer to the tongue) when the mouth is closed.
- Overbite – An overbite is when the lower front teeth come into contact with the tissue of the upper teeth when the mouth is closed.
- Underbite – An underbite occurs when the lower jaw is longer or protrudes further than the upper jaw.
- Extra or Missing Teeth – You may have extra teeth that can cause the other teeth to shift, or be missing teeth due to injuries, tooth decay, or gum disease.
- Trouble Breathing or Swallowing – Symptoms of these problems can include snoring or sleep apnea.
- Overjet – Overjet occurs when the upper teeth protrude beyond what’s normal and may also be associated with a short lower jaw.
- Confidence Issues – Crooked or uneven teeth can cause one to be self-conscious or embarrassed by their smile.
- Problems Speaking or Chewing – If you have improper jaw alignment or occlusion, speech and chewing problems can occur.
If you believe that orthodontic treatment is necessary, please contact Kuhni Orthodontic Studio here in Spanish Fork, UT and we can help you determine which treatment option(s) would be best for your situation. Find a kids braces dentist today! Serving the surrounding region of Spanish Fork including Mapleton, Palmyra, Lake Shore, Benjamin, Springville, and Salem.